Customizable menu items and structures
Until now, the projectfacts menu has been oriented towards the modules you use. We remove this rigid division and instead let you decide for yourself how the menu should look for your company. As a result, you enjoy almost complete freedom in the composition and arrangement of your menu items.
You can orient the menu to your workflow, for example with the following menu items:
Or you can orient the menu according to your departments, e.g. like this:
Customize single menu items
In the configuration you will find the new item “Menu” in the category “General”. There you make all settings for your new menu.
Here you will first find an overview of your main menu items. These correspond to your current modules. Using the context menu (three dots at the top right of the tile) you can edit the menu item. The following fields are of particular interest:
- Type: indicates that this is a main menu item. Subordinate menu items, elements or external URLs are also possible.
- User group: Which departments or persons within your organization should have access to the menu item? Please note that previous access rights still apply.
- Name: Initially, a placeholder is entered here that corresponds to the current module name. You can overwrite it with your own name. Please note that this name is also set in other language versions, it is not translated automatically.
- Description: enter in this field a short description what is hidden under your menu item.
If you click on one of the menu items, you will be taken one level down to the tiles associated with the menu item. You can tell by the icon that these are now submenu items. If you click on one of the tiles, you can also edit it. For tiles, in addition to the fields mentioned above, the following options are also interesting:
- Parent menu: By default, the associated main menu or the next higher menu item is entered here. If you change this entry, you move the tile to another menu.
- Group: Via the group you can group tiles of a menu level into sections. All tiles of this group will then appear under a common heading. Simply enter the desired name for the group for all tiles that are to be assigned to it.
- Size: This is where you determine the size of your tile. The default size is “2×2”. This corresponds to the tile size you are used to in projectfacts. The first digit indicates the width, the second the height. You get a very small tile with “1×1”, a wider one with “4×2” and so on.
- Color: Choose which color you want your tile to have. You can choose the color freely using the “Color Picker” or you can enter a hex code.
Sorting and structuring menu items
You have various options for arranging menu items the way you like. In the following, we will introduce you to three variants:
Add new elements
To add new elements to your menu, click the plus icon. Use the Type field to choose whether it should be a main menu item, a sub-menu item, a concrete element or a URL.
If you add a new item, you must then select the item type, e.g. an organization or a board. Once you have chosen a type, a field appears to the right of it. Above it you specify the concrete element that should appear in the menu.
You can also place an external URL, e.g. a link to your website or to other relevant web content. To do this, simply set the type to “URL” and copy the desired URL into the field below.
Intelligent search function
You may have wondered if search continues to work when menu items no longer match modules. The answer is yes. Even if you merge tiles from different modules in your menu items, projectfacts will continue to search the correct content.
For example, if one of your menu items includes tiles from the modules “Forum”, “Wiki” and “Files”, all elements from these three modules will also be searched via the menu search. So you don’t need to worry about this when compiling, because the intelligent search thinks for you.